Wednesday, October 25, 2006

On practicing what you preach.

I have a t-shirt that I bought at a thrift store in high-school. The shirt is white with a picture of 5 superheroes in a group pose with the words "be a math action hero" underneath.
An EO1 with the reserve battallion up here is also an NYPD cop. When he gets back home next month he wants to take an exam to get a better job in a better part of New York, but he needs to have 30 college credits to do so. At the learning center on base they have college classes, and also the option to take CLEP exams and earn credit on the spot.
He came up to me last week and said "hey, I need you to teach me math"

So right now I'm sitting in the dispatch office 2 hours after the workday ended, teaching EO1 Algebra to the best of my ability.

Wish I had a cape.

4 Comments:

At 9:11 PM, Blogger Christina said...

you have a cape waiting for you at home. all you need is a towel and a saftey pin and youre set. duh.

I'm glad you are someone else's superhero and not just mine. love your guts.

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

I'm not against a few cram sessions with EO1 Algebra. As a matter of fact I think it's a great idea. I think you should put it on your brag sheet under "community relations on behalf of the Navy" (he is looking for a promotion in the community, right?) But I would like to point out that in no way are you expected to act in accordance with your high-school identity. If that were the case I'd be a much, much, much different woman (and not for the better).

I have to ask: Is a boy who proudly sports math/comic-book fusion shirts able to bring a date to the prom? Just wondering.

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger Tyson said...

as a matter of fact, yes I did have a date for the prom. She was the captian of the basketball and softball teams, so there.

EO1 took his test yesterday and now we have to wait 30 days to see if he passed it or not. I think he will, I'm so proud

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Christina said...

Yeah but he ended up with a drama geek ;-) so the forces of nature won in the end.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home